Our Philosophy for women and heart disease...
Heart disease devastates women’s lives. Women who have heart attacks in the age range of 35-50 die twice as often as men. 2/3 of women who survive heart attacks will have long-term disability after the attack. In the United States, 1 in 3 women die of heart disease and stroke while 1 in 30 die of breast cancer. For the past 50 years, heart disease research has focused on men in the mistaken belief that the results were equally applicable to both men and women. Wrong. Statistics prove otherwise. If you are a woman, today is the day to get moving! Arm yourself with knowledge. Read this website often. Register to take The Challenge. See your doctor. Come to one of our free screenings. Take care of yourself. The people who love you will thank you!
- In 2006, Cardiovascular disease (CVD) claimed the lives of 320,000 women; cancer (all forms combined) claimed 270,000.
- 8% of the women who suffer from heart attacks will perish within first year.
- Two thirds of women who have a heart attack fail to make a full recovery.
- CVD is particularly important amongst minority women. The death rate due to CVD is substantially higher for African-American and Hispanic women than white women.
- In the United States, 1 in 3 women perish from heart disease or stroke; 1 in 30 perish from breast cancer.